No need to worry though, as I have done reviews of the top 6 so you don’t have to. In the following reviews I cover all the essential features, pros, cons and I also pick out a winner.
Aside from the reviews, I have also prepared a buyer’s guide so you will know what to buy. While cleaning mats have various features, the sizes and features vary, which is why it’s important you know these figures.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 6 Gun Cleaning Mat: Comparison
- 2 Best Picks of Gun Cleaning Mat Reviews
- 2.1 #1: Gun Cleaning Mat by Sage and Braker Review
- 2.2 #2:TekMat 12-Inch X 36-Inch Long Gun Cleaning Mat Review
- 2.3 #3: Lyman Products Essential Gun Maintenance Mat Review
- 2.4 #4: Glock AD00073 Perfection OEM Cleaning Bench Mat Review
- 2.5 #5:Real Avid Universal Smart Mat – 43×16”, Long Gun Cleaning Mat Review
- 2.6 #6: Premium Gun Cleaning Mat with AR15 Exploded Parts Diagram Review
- 3 Things to Consider Before Buying The Best Gun Cleaning Mat
- 4 How to Clean a Gun Cleaning Mat
- 5 Top Gun Cleaning Mat Brands
- 6 Final Verdict
Top 6 Gun Cleaning Mat: Comparison
|Name||Material||Dimensions||Weight||View on Amazon|
|Gun Cleaning Mat by Sage and Braker||Waxed Canvas, Wool and Leather||69 x 16 x 1/2 inches||2.9 lbs||Check Price|
|TekMat 12-Inch X 36-Inch Long Gun Cleaning Mat||Polyester and rubber||12 x 36 x 0.1 inches||0.8 ounces||Check Price|
|Lyman Products Essential Gun Maintenance Mat||Soft polymer||14.4 ounces||Check Price|
|Glock AD00073 Perfection OEM Cleaning Bench Mat||Rubberized nylon||11 x 17 ix 0.4 inches||2.4 ounces||Check Price|
|Real Avid Universal Smart Mat – 43×16”, Long Gun Cleaning Mat||Treated foam and rubber||43 x 16 inches||1.9 lbs||Check Price|
|Premium Gun Cleaning Mat with AR15 Exploded Parts Diagram||Rubber and polyester||12 x 36 inches||1.2 lbs||Check Price|
Best Picks of Gun Cleaning Mat Reviews
#1: Gun Cleaning Mat by Sage and Braker Review
The first thing you’ll notice is the mat’s thickness. This is a testament to how durable and versatile the material is.
The mat is half an inch thick so you don’t have to worry about oils and spills getting on your work surface. At 69 inches long, the mat is also long enough for large rifles.
The Sage and Braker mat is also notable for its pouches that allows it to hold a large array of cleaning products. With these pouches you’ll be able to store bore cleaning kits, picks and brushes.
Once you’re done cleaning, just fold the mat. This makes the Sage and Braker ideal for hunters as it’s convenient to carry.
The mat comes with leather straps for securing the material so it doesn’t unroll accidentally. The mat also works two ways, protecting both your gun and the surface.
With the mat, you can use all the necessary cleaning solutions and liquids without fear.
#2:TekMat 12-Inch X 36-Inch Long Gun Cleaning Mat Review
The mat has a polyester top and the back is rubber neoprene. This combination ensures the surface won’t affect your gun’s finish.
Measuring 12 x 36 inches, the mat is suitable for short and long firearms. With its durable finish and high quality, you’ll be able to carry this anywhere you need to go.
The mat has a detailed exploded view of the AR15, and this should come in handy when you’re cleaning. The durable finish also means you don’t have to worry about chemical spills damaging your table or the floor.
The TekMat is suitable for the M16 and AR15, and it works as both a cleaning and repair mat. The mat’s polyester material is just right in ensuring chemicals don’t lead to deterioration.
The TekMat also does not accumulate dirt quickly, reducing the amount of cleaning and maintenance needed. The spacious work area is another benefit as it allows you to clean with sufficient space.
The TekMat is a roll up so once you’re done, just roll nice and easy.
#3: Lyman Products Essential Gun Maintenance Mat Review
The Lyman mat’s most notable feature is its recessed sections. This is a nice feature as it prevents oils and liquids from spilling, and this also means you can focus on just cleaning your guns.
The Lyman mat is also easy to clean up so it’s not a hassle to use. The material used is soft polymer, and that’s another benefit as it’s suited for guns.
One of the most common complaints with cleaning mats is they get soiled easily. The Lyman does not so it’s more convenient to use.
The mat’s surface material does not absorb liquids the way other cleaning mats do. What his means is you can do a lot more cleaning and be productive.
The mat is also thick so it won’t cause any dents on your work table. This is a thoughtful feature that really makes cleaning easier and more convenient.
For man users though, the biggest advantage is the raised sections as it allows for easy management of cleaning solutions.
#4: Glock AD00073 Perfection OEM Cleaning Bench Mat Review
This mat underwent rigorous processing to ensure quality, and it is evident in the design here. The material used is rubber nylon and its surface is resistant to oil.
The Perfection mat is not just oil resistant however, as it is also scratch resistant. It is this durability that allows you to clean different types of guns.
The mat is nonslip so it’s not going to slide when you use it. The mat is also flat so you don’t have to be concerned about the layout.
The mat’s surface provides an exploded view of a Glock handgun. Components are listed on the diagram, and there’s also lubrication diagrams built in.
The Glock mat also comes with lubrication programs. This is a very nice addition since it serves as a guide for new users.
The mat also provides info on the right lubrication points, ensuring you’re not going to make a mistake cleaning.
#5:Real Avid Universal Smart Mat – 43×16”, Long Gun Cleaning Mat Review
This mat comes with an organizer tray so you won’t lose any tools. With all your tools organized it’s easier than ever to maintain your guns.
The tray is magnetic and is joined to the cleaning pad. Since it is magnetic you are not going to lose any springs, pins or other parts.
At 43 by 16 inches, the mat is big enough for long and short guns. The back is nonslip so the mat won’t move around when cleaning.
The mat’s work surface has good padding and is enough to provide protection or your guns. The mat’s padding does not soak up either so cleanup doesn’t become a chore.
The Real Avid mat’s nonslip surface allows you to work without difficulty. There is no slipping or other issues to be concerned about.
For a lot of people, the bundled tray is a nice addition. It’s all too easy to lose stuff especially the small parts, but not with the Real Avid.
#6: Premium Gun Cleaning Mat with AR15 Exploded Parts Diagram Review
Like many cleaning mats, the Premium rolls up nicely for quick storage. The mat also has diagrams to guide lubrication.
The difference here is the diagram is large and clear. There’s no need to squint your eyes as the layout is easy to figure out.
The mat isn’t called Premium for nothing, as it is made from high quality, durable parts. The mat surface is waterproof so getting the surface wet won’t cause a problem when cleaning.
The Premium’s edges are stitched for extra durability. There is also double padding for extra protection when you’re using it.
All Silver Tactical mats are known for durability, and that’s apparent here. The mat is strong enough to take punishment when used outdoors for hunting.
Another thing going for the mat is the ease with which you can roll it up. When you’re done cleaning it’s easy to store.
Bottom line is, the mat does what it’s supposed to without any fuss.
Things to Consider Before Buying The Best Gun Cleaning Mat
If you’re going to buy gun accesories you take into account several factors, and that is applicable to these cleaning mats too. Here some suggestions:
- Quality Materials: get a cleaning mat made of durable, high quality material. Good materials don’t stain easily and last a long time.
- Size: some cleaning mats are more suitable for handguns, while others are for long firearms. Choose one that suits your needs.
- Storage: an ideal cleaner has enough storage for gun cleaning products, picks and kits.
- Low Maintenance: an ideal cleaning mat is easy to maintain and does not stain easily.
- Provides Protection: no matter the material type, the mat must provide protection for your guns and also the workplace.
- Style: today’s cleaning carpets are as stylish as they are functional, so there’s no reason to settle for a shabby looking cleaning mat.
When shopping for a pistol cleaning mat or one for long rifles, pay attention to the warranty and design quality. Some cleaning materials look good, but poor construction means it’s not going to last.
The brand reputation is just as important. Buying from established brands means you’re going to get a good warranty and customer support.
A few more things to keep in mind.
- Do not let cost be the primary factor: always emphasize quality
- Buy only from a reputable website so you don’t get scammed.
- Study the vendor’s return policy just in case.
How to Clean a Gun Cleaning Mat
A well made leather gun cleaning mat does not need frequent cleaning. In fact that’s the reason why they’re widely used in the first place.
If the cleaning mat gets dirty, follow the instructions on the package. These mats are made from various materials, so one cleaning solution may not work for another. That’s why it is important to clean only as directed to avoid damage.
If the cleaning mat does not specify a cleaning solution, use warm water and soap. Use only mild soap to avoid damaging the material.
A lot of good quality gun cleaning mats do a good job of concealing grime and dirt. It’s for this reason why most don’t need frequent cleaning.
If the mat needs cleaning, work on the entire surface. Depending on the mats size you may need to use a considerable amount of soapy water.
Some suggestions for cleaning the mat:
- Do not clean the mat unless it is really necessary.
- Do not use harsh cleaning solutions because it might cause damage.
- Use the mat in a clean environment to minimize dirt and grime buildup
- If the brand suggests a specific cleaning solution, use that.
Top Gun Cleaning Mat Brands
Deciding what cleaning mats to buy for your gun must take brand name into consideration. Based on my experience, the brand is crucial because established names provide better customer service, have a longer and a more comprehensive warranty.
- Sage and Baker: this brand has earned a solid reputation for their heavy duty design and strikingly beautiful gun cleaning mats.
- TekMat: TekMat mats are recognized for their resistance to oils and chemicals.
- Lyman: these mats are soft and easy to maintain.
- Glock: Glock manufactures a number of quality mats, all of which are nonslip and many have lubrication guides.
- Silver Tactical: this is the company behind premium cleaning mats. Their best mats are waterproof and also built to last.
- Real Avid: this brand is known for mats that make it easier to clean guns.
Studying and learning brands is necessary when you’re shopping for food, appliances and electronics. This also applies to cleaning mats for guns.
Buying a cleaning mat for guns is easier than ever. However that doesn’t mean you should just pick any product you see. That’s what I feel it is important that you learn about brands.
All the gun cleaning mats here are of the highest quality. However there is no question that the best one is the Sage and Braker cleaning mat.
There is a reason why it is highly regarded by a lot of gun owners. This mat is made of high quality fabric, and its lather, wool and waxed canvas really makes a difference in cleaning.
This cleaning mat also rises above the rest due to its size, as it is large enough for even the biggest rifles. This means you don’t have to worry if your your gun will fit, and that’s why it is the best gun cleaning mat.
Best Gun Cleaning Mats Reviews
- Gun Cleaning Mat by Sage and Braker
- TekMat 12-Inch X 36-Inch Long Gun Cleaning Mat
- Lyman Products Essential Gun Maintenance Mat
- Glock AD00073 Perfection OEM Cleaning Bench Mat
- Premium Gun Cleaning Mat with AR15 Exploded Parts Diagram
- Real Avid Universal Smart Mat – 43×16”, Long Gun Cleaning Mat